Saturday, October 11, 2008

What's in a Name

How did we come up with our son's name? Did we name him after our pastor Max Lucado? Initially, the name Max was a compromise. Victor came home the first day after finding out that we were having a boy with all these manly gladiator names (no doubt with the help of his buddies at work) like Maximus and Maxamillion. He tells me later that he was just kidding but at the time I thought he was totally serious so I was like "um, can we do Max for short??" The name Max grew on me and I liked the sound of Max and Maddie together. I am really into what names mean though. I wasn't too keen on the meaning of Max ~ "the greatest one". Of course I think my little boy is great but "the greatest one"...well that is a title only One is worthy of. That brings me to his middle name~ Manuel. This is a family name. It is Victor's middle name, his father's name and grandfather's name. And I LOVE what it means. I got all excited when I looked it up. It means "God in us". Now I can do that. God in you, my little Max, is the Greatest One! And that would be my most earnest prayer for my son (and daughter!) that they would have God's life in them and flowing through them to be a blessing to many. I also love the fact that he is named after our sweet pastor, Max Lucado. He is a well-known gifted speaker and writer but what I love most about him is that he is a humble servant-leader. May my little Max grow to have such a humbleness and gentleness about him as well.

3 comments:

THE Stephanie said...

Very sweet! I can't wait to meet him :)

Jeni said...

And here I thought you just wanted a couple of M&M's :)..
Max Mendez (M&M) & Maddie Mendez (M&M)... you know, that's why Mary collected M&M's right? Her name was Mary McCraw (M&M). She is loving the connection!
I love the name Max because it's short & STRONG. His introduction will always be strong; "Hi, I'm MAX" :)

Love you sis,,,, Jen

Laurie Kolp said...

I think Max has an awesome name- it sounds so good together.

I hope he always remembers that God is in him!!!


Hi, my name is Lisa. I am writing this blog to share with you, my family and friends, the blessings God has poured out on me. I feel so fortunate to have the husband that I have and these two amazingly beautiful children that have stolen my heart. Every day is so precious and it brings new stories, adventures, laughter and challenges. I hope I can capture some of our life on this blog to share with you and I'd love to hear from each of you as well.



My awesome husband and bestfriend