Thursday, November 6, 2008

Max's accident, God's care

It's Monday November 3rd and time for lunch. I set my sweet baby Max on his pillow so I can go wash sister's hands before she eats. Max's large baby pillow usually cocoons him well when I place it on the counter top up against the bar. I like it here because he can join us as we eat or as I cook or clean in the kitchen and he can have a good view of all of us. This time I was careless and did not turn the pillow the way it should have been turned to protect my baby from scooting off of it should he decide to start moving around. I was on the phone with Victor and went to wash Maddie's hands when I heard the cries. Initially I thought Max was just having gas pain but when I went to the kitchen and saw the empty pillow I ran to scoop my baby up from the floor.



My nightmare began.



I held Max, trying to sooth him, looking him over for injury. I called his doctor and she told me to take him to the ER. I loaded up Maddie and Max, called my neighbor and told her "Max has fallen, I'm taking him to the ER, can you watch Maddie?" She said she'd be waiting for me outside. After I dropped off Maddie I prayed the whole way to the hospital while Max sucked on my pinkie...I didn't want him passing out. I arrived 30 minutes after the fall and walked up to the counter. As I recounted what happened to the clerk that is when it hit me. I could barely speak through the tears. The staff there put him in the front of the line for a cat scan. They led me to a room where I just held Max tightly and waited for Victor to arrive. The doctor came in and told me what he observed from the cat scan....Max had a depressed skull fracture and some fluid build up but it was outside the brain. We had to wait to see what the neurologist thought should be done to correct the fracture. During our wait I had to hold Max as he had every bone in his body x-rayed and then hold him as he received an IV in his hand. As you can imagine neither one of these experiences was easy for him or mom. I cried right along with him. The whole time I'm berating myself..."my precious 7 week old baby wouldn't be in this pain, if I was just more careful!!!"

Some time later we were called in to view the cat scan and hear what no parent wants to hear...we must do surgery to correct the fracture and drain the fluid. I then had to review all that could go wrong while Max is under anesthesia and in surgery and initial my consent to these procedures.

By this time word had spread like wild fire and many were in prayer for all of us. My sweet mentor had joined Victor and I early on and several others including elders from our church family came to pray over Max and be there for support. I know that this is what pulled us through this tragic day and what pulled Max through surgery successfully. The prep. and surgery itself took approximately 2 hours. The doc said it went very well. They were able to realign the bone and drain the fluid. I could nurse him after the anesthesia wore off. I was given the green light to feed him at midnight. Even though he was having fluids it killed me that I could not fed my baby all day. After an initial spit up, he fed very well all night long in the NICU.



At 5am they did another cat scan to see how everything looked and to make sure fluid did not start building up again. The doctor came in about 8am and was very positive. Everything looked great, no fluid build up, and we could be moved down to a regular room as soon as a bed opens up. He needed to stay for 24 more hours for observation but could be released to go home if all looked well the next day.

That night was the hardest night. We were moved to a shared room with a crib for Max and chair for me to sleep in. There was no place for Victor to sleep so he stayed until 11ish then met back up with us in the morning. Our nurse for the night shift was not good. He smelled strongly of cigarette smoke and was causing Max and everyone else in our room to keep sneezing. Ugh! There's got to be some rule against this! He was rude and not gentle with Max. Victor and I were obviously very unhappy about this. I didn't want to complain and then have the same nurse be vengeful in any way. After praying and looking in the handbook to see who we needed to speak with, we called in the charge nurse and told her our concerns and that we would like another nurse. She assigned a new nurse to us who was much nicer and more gentle (and didn't wreak of smoke!). I think I got about 2 hours of sleep that night. Max was okay but between the loud snoring on the other side of the curtain, cries from other patients, alarms going off every time a monitor was slightly moved, and trying to feed Max with all those dang monitors, IV, and tube...I was beyond weary. Yet, the Lord is merciful and near. A new day has dawned and a new nurse entered. In walked a sweet girl from church who just happened to be our nurse for the morning! She was a joyful sight for sore, tired eyes. Tears came to my eyes and the verse about "weeping may remain for a night, but joy comes in the morning" came to my mind. Thank you, Lord...you truly are near to the broken hearted and close to those crushed in spirit.
Shortly after breakfast (they feed the nursing mommies), Max's doctor entered and said he looks terrific and it's time to go home! Max had a tube just under his scalp to drain any extra fluid. She had to take this out and sueter up. I was like "um, don't you have to numb him first???" She told me to numb him would hurt worse than this quick sueter she has to put in. She did it quickly and Max was calmed as soon as I held him in my arms. The monitors and IV were removed. Finally! I could hold my baby without all those hindrances! Smooth skin on skin. It was the best feeling. He must have felt the same way because he started smiling at Victor and me for the very first time right there in the hospital room. It was like he was telling us "I'm going to be okay mommy and daddy".

Monday evening Max had head surgery. Wednesday morning we are released to go home. Originally it was said that we'd most likely have to stay in the NICU for 2 days then 3 more days on the regular floor. Oh, praise God we did not have to do this! We serve a merciful and gracious Lord. We have been able to sleep in our bed for the last 3 nights and it has been wonderful! The outpouring of love, prayers (and food!) has been incredible! Victor and I have been so embraced and loved by our church family and many other family members and friends during this time. We had 6 different elders from Oakhills Church come to pray over Max and many others as well. We are humbled and grateful for the many prayers and love that has been shown to us. Thank you, thank you, thank you to all those who prayed, visited, brought food, cared for Madison, and expressed to us your love and concern. Please continue to pray for a complete recovery for Max and also for my heart that grieves that my sweet 7 week old baby had to endure such pain. I'm just so thankful that he is okay and that's what I need to focus on.
I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that God is here, that he is with us, and that His love is covering us.

Isaiah 43:1,2
This is what the Lord says-
he who created you...
he who formed you..
Fear not, for I have redeemed you;
I have called you by name;
you are mine.
When you pass through the waters,
I will be with you;
and when you pass thorugh the rivers,
they will not sweep over you.
When you walk through the fire,
you will not be burned
For I am the Lord, your God,
the Holy One of Israel, your Savior

11 comments:

Maria said...

Oh my goodness, what a scary week...

So glad to hear everything turned out well. Praise the Lord!!!!

Maria (Grace's Mommy/MMO)

Laurie Kolp said...

I am so glad everything turned out okay! Baby's are so resilient (thank goodness). Mommies are usually the ones who hurt more. I'm so glad you have such a wonderful church to help out. You and your family are truly blessed.

Jeni said...

Oh Sis! I'm so happy Max is okay! What a lucky lil guy he is (in so many ways).... we were praying for him & still pray for a quick recovery. I love you, Victor, Maddie & Max sooooo much!
xoxo,
Jeni

Stacy said...

Lisa, You are a great mom and there is no one else God could have chosen for your little flock but you! I loved browsing your blog and seeing God's fingerprints throughout your life. Your family is beautiful and I am so encouraged how God saw you through this week.
Blessings-Stacy

Stacy said...

Lisa, You are a great mom and there is no one else God could have chosen for your little flock but you! I loved browsing your blog and seeing God's fingerprints throughout your life. Your family is beautiful and I am so encouraged how God saw you through this week.

Staci Loalbo said...

I am so glad to hear this, i was so worried about you guys. I totally know how it feels when your child is hurt and you think it may have been an error on your part. Landon took a tumble down the stairs a few months back because i failed to make sure the gate was latched securely.....he never got near it until the one time i was careless....he tumbled head over feet over and over and i couldnt get to him....but was in eye sight to see the whole thing unfold.

My baby boys stood up, kissed me, and ran off as if nothing happended and i BURST into tears.....I thank God for this everyday....his protection is so comforting!!

I love you!!

Anonymous said...

Sweet Lisa! I can't believe you went through all of that! I cried while reading the story and rejoiced with the wonderful outcome! I went through some similar times when my kids were small, but not nearly so serious! Praise God! He is sooo good! I'm so happy that you have a strong, godly husband and a great spiritual family! Love you all so much and hope to see you around Christmas, again! Love, Debi (Sunnye's mom)!

THE Stephanie said...

God is near.

I'm so glad that Max is ok! I love you, Pickle!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, glad Max is OK!
Praise God.
--
Maddie

THE Stephanie said...

How's Max doing (and his mommy??)?

Haven't heard from you in a while...

Cody and Shana said...

Hey Lisa, your blog is too cute. I'm looking forward to seeing yall this weekend. Wow, what a blessing about Max after the head injury, I can't wait to meet the little guy!


Hi, my name is Lisa. I am writing this blog to share with you, my family and friends, the blessings God has poured out on me. I feel so fortunate to have the husband that I have and these two amazingly beautiful children that have stolen my heart. Every day is so precious and it brings new stories, adventures, laughter and challenges. I hope I can capture some of our life on this blog to share with you and I'd love to hear from each of you as well.



My awesome husband and bestfriend